terça-feira, 10 de setembro de 2013

Opinião - Wallflowers 0.5, 1 and 2

Ficha Técnica:
Autor: Lisa Kleypas
Title: Again the Magic, Secrets of a Summer Night and It Happened One Autumn
Páginas: 400, 384 and 290 (Ebook)
Editor: HarperCollins
ISBN: 9780060752736, 9780061793080 and 9780060795443

Sinopse:

Again the Magic
She gave him her innocence . . .Lady Aline Marsden was brought up for one reason: to make an advantageous marriage to a member of her own class. Instead, she willingly gave her innocence to John McKenna, a servant on her father's estate. Their passionate transgression was unforgivable -- John was sent away, and Aline was left to live in the countryside . . . an exile from London society . . .and he took her love.

Now McKenna has made his fortune, and he has returned -- more boldly handsome and more mesmerizing than before. His ruthless plan is to take revenge on the woman who shattered his dreams of love. But the magic between them burns as bright as ever. And now he must decide whether to let vengeance take its toll . . . or risk everything for his first, and only, love.


Secrets of a Summer Night
Four young ladies enter London society with one common goal: they must use their feminine wit and wiles to find a husband.So a daring husband-hunting scheme is born.

Annabelle Peyton, determined to save her family from disaster, decides to use her beauty and wit to tempt a suitable nobleman into making an offer of marriage. But Annabelle's most intriguing—and persistent—admirer, wealthy, powerful Simon Hunt, has made it clear that while he will introduce her to irresistible pleasure he will not offer marriage. Annabelle is determined to resist his unthinkable proposition . . . but it is impossible in the face of such skillful seduction.

Her friends, looking to help, conspire to entice a more suitable gentleman to offer for Annabelle, for only then will she be safe from Simon—and her own longings. But on one summer night, Annabelle succumbs to Simon's passionate embrace and tempting kisses . . . and she discovers that love is the most dangerous game of all.


It Happened One Autumn
It happened at the ball . . .
Where beautiful but bold Lillian Bowman quickly learned that her independent American ways weren't entirely "the thing." And the most disapproving of all was insufferable, snobbish, and impossible Marcus, Lord Westcliff, London's most eligible aristocrat.

It happened in the garden . . .
When Marcus shockingly--and dangerously-swept her into his arms. Lillian was overcome with a consuming passion for a man she didn't even like. Time stood still; it was as if no one else existed . . . thank goodness they weren't caught very nearly in the act.

It happened one autumn . . .
Marcus was a man in charge of his own emotions, a bedrock of stability. But with Lillian, every touch was exquisite torture, every kiss an enticement for more. Yet how could he consider taking a woman so blatantly unsuitable . . . as his bride?

Opinião:
Since I read the three books in a row, it didn't make much sense for me to talk about them separately. In my mind I picture them as one big book. And although I know which characters are from each book, certain scenes that are very general (most of them related to sex) get tangled in my head and I can't remember precisely in which book I read them.

Talking about Again the Magic, I initially thought it was a short story that we could read to be acquainted with the characters that were going to appear in the next books. In a certain way, I was wrong. It isn't a short story, most definitely, and although we are presented with some characters who will appear in the next books, most of them have a very second place in the action. The story was about two romances and sadly it was very plain. I didn't fall in love with neither of the characters and felt a bit disappointed. Everybody talked so fondly of the author...

So I decided to move on to Secrets of a Summer Night, where we meet for the first time the real Wallflowers. I liked them very much, with their different personalities that complement each other. I liked Annabelle and Simon, but throughout the book I felt that something was missing. Beside, the book goes on and on without any need for it. From the moment that they give up and surrender to love I hoped that the book would end. I was wrong, and I got bored with every page I turned since that point.

And then again I thought "Just one more try". This time I got to see Lilian and Marcus quarrel over everything and finally fall in love. In some ways I felt close to Lilian, because both of us can't keep our mouths shut and we say everything we see fit. I also got to meet a character that was dark and amoral, but in spite of everything I started to like him, and couldn't bring myself to hate him, even after the cruel thing he does to his friend. With this book I started to understand why everybody talks so much about this author.

I have to say that now I am curious to read the next book, because it features St. Vincent, one of the evil characters from It Happened One Autumn. Before I end this review I have to say that in spite of the fact that I started to understand the pull that many readers feel to this author, I can think at least about one other author that makes me completely obsessed with her books as long as they last, since book one. In the end, these books turned out to be a satisfying reading, if one has the will to pass the first two books.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário